Information About Our Teeth Cleanings
Regular Cleaning vs Dental Cleaning
Traditional methods of brushing, flossing and scrubbing cannot fight the germs and bacteria of today. It is highly important that you go to a dental office to get clear the bacteria that could cause problems later.
Professional teeth cleaning can help clear up tartar and plaque that could seem difficult to remove. It involves tooth scaling, tooth polishing and debridement that weaken and remove deposits from the teeth, making them look brighter, cleaner and healthier.
Usually, this involves three steps:
- Scaling: When special tools are used to remove tartar build up from your gums.
- Polishing: When your teeth are power brushed with a grainy paste to remove surface stains.
- Flossing: When all the debris stuck between your teeth is removed.
Most dentists recommend teeth cleaning after every six months. However, depending on the condition of your teeth, our dentist will talk to you about the number of visits you should schedule.
The importance of teeth cleaning
The process of teeth cleaning involves the maintenance of oral hygiene. This is done by removing plaque and providing protection against cavities, gingivitis and periodontal disease. Although many people resort to household remedies and basic routine methods for their teeth cleaning, it is important to realize is that professional teeth-cleaning is helps you maintain optimal oral health.
Teeth cleaning is a significant element of your dental health because it holds the potential to prevent serious health risks. In addition, excess plaque and tartar on the teeth can give rise to gum diseases which may cause tooth decay. Hence, it is important to visit a dentist office regularly to have your teeth checked by our dentist to try to avoid such problems.
Types of Professional Teeth Cleanings
There are different types of teeth cleanings. When you visit our dental office, our dentist may perform a regular cleaning to eliminate the tartar and plaque buildup. However, you might need an additional or alternate cleaning depending on your current oral health. After your examination, our dentist may determine which method is better for you.
Below are the different types of teeth cleanings we offer:
- Regular Cleaning: A regular cleaning consists of our dentist eliminating stains, tartar and plaque from your teeth. For patients with gum health issues, our dentist may recommend frequent visits for teeth cleaning.
- Full Mouth Debridement: Our dentist may recommend this teeth cleaning procedure if regular teeth cleaning does not work in your case. Full mouth debridement eliminates hard tartar and plaque from your teeth and gums.
- Deep Cleaning: Our dentist may suggest deep cleanings if you have symptoms such as the buildup of tartar, plaque under the gums, bleeding gums, sensitive gums, deep gum pockets, and such. Our dentist uses tools that properly target these dental issues.
- Periodontal Maintenance: Our dentist may recommend periodontal maintenance after you have undergone treatment such as deep cleaning. Continuing maintenance on your oral health is essential, as recurrences of gum disease or plaque can occur. Additionally, periodontal care removes tartar and plaque from below and above the gum line, deep cleans your teeth, and is followed up by teeth polishing.
What happens during professional teeth cleaning
Professional teeth-cleaning can easy, fast and highly effective. The most common practices involved in teeth-cleaning are listed below:
- Discussion with our Dentist: Before anything else is done, our dentist will check your previous dental records to see whether you undertook any dental x-rays recently. Dental x-rays are important to get a clear picture of what is happening below the gum line, as well as detecting cavities and infections. If you don’t have any recent dental x-rays on your file, no worries, our dentist will recommend one.
- Gentle Cleaning of Teeth: This is one the first steps of the whole process. Our dentist will gently clean and remove all the plaque and tartar off your teeth. Furthermore, our dentist will also examine your teeth carefully for cavities, inflammation or decay.
- Ultrasonic Brushing and Flossing: Once your teeth have been cleaned gently, our dentist will use ultrasonic brushing tools to polish your teeth. Special toothpaste is used to scrub your teeth for a flawless finish. After all the plaque and tartar is removed and the teeth are polished, our dentist will begin to floss. This is done before your teeth are rinsed.
- Dental Examination: After the dentist cleans your teeth, they will inspect your dental health in detail. They will look at your teeth for dental decay in order to eliminate any such triggers before they become a problem.
- Treatment: You will proceed to rinse your mouth with a fluoride mouthwash for a few minutes. Additionally, our dentist may recommend or consider applying fluoride directly on your teeth. This treatment neutralizes bacterial acids, and also takes care of your dental enamel. This fluoride treatment will also help you get rid of bad breath problems. You may also ask our dentist to recommend a good mouthwash for you to use at your own convenience.
- Next Appointment:Our dentist will discuss your treatment and may suggest follow-up sessions depending on your condition.
Early recognition and treatment may help you prevent future dental issues. Schedule an appointment at Dental Village in Tucson, Arizona and learn about our services. Our dentist will answer all your questions to make your experience as comfortable as possible.